My Backyard

My Backyard
The Wasatch Range, 3 Days Before Injury

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

10 Weeks, I See a Light!

I see the light (in Wyoming)
     Post-op protocols vary wildly for hamstring avulsion.  From brace vs no brace, early weight bearing vs later, early PT vs late PT, instructions are all over the map.  I have adhered to my surgeon's protocol diligently and as of last Friday, my surgeon felt I had exceeded expectations for healing and gait function.  I would say my protocol tends toward the conservative side, and for good reason.  Tendons and ligaments are slow healers without a lot of blood vessels to feed the healing.  Working a muscle before the tendon is ready to bear the load has a high potential for re-injury, or injuring other supporting muscle groups that are forced to compensate when the affected muscle/tendon group is not ready to play.  I am not terribly competitive by nature, but I admit extreme satisfaction to be told I was ahead of the curve!
     Over the past 4 weeks, I am astonished at how much my range of motion has improved. 4 weeks ago I was unable to flex my hip enough for the recumbent bicycle.  Today, I rode on the upright stationary bicycle for 20 minutes.  4 weeks ago, I could barely flex my left knee past 90 degrees.  Today, I sustained a comfortable "childs pose".  The scar tissue "tightness" I felt at 6 weeks is virtually gone today.
Emily slept, I hiked!
     Admittedly, I probably pushed harder than I should have over the weekend. We were in one of my favorite places near the headwaters of the Green River in Wyoming and I felt great.  I weathered the 4 1/2 hour drive with minimal discomfort and found walking on the dirt roads easy.  Barry was carrying Emily in a framed baby backpack carrier and Emily was a huge fan.  Emily has always slept well while being worn, and was badly in need of a nap. Since I felt so good, I popped 25 pound Emily into the pack and Barry helped her onto my back for about a 1 1/2 mile hike on a dirt road. It worked.  She slept, and I hiked...without pain.  I imagine that by  the fall, my favorite time to hike in Utah, I will be back to many of my favorite local day hikes that feed my soul. I was shocked at how strong I felt, but nervous because this is when I know I could overdo it and have a set back. 
    To get busy learning how to NOT overdo it while gradually strengthening my legs appropriately, I had my first Physical Therapy treatment today. Overall, PT went well.  I was able to perform all the exercises but was shocked at how weak my hips actually are.  After hiking with Emily on my back, I thought I was totally killing it.  But today, I could feel my legs shaking just doing simple bridging and hip strengthening.  My PT, Robby, was great.  Though he was not very familiar with my rare injury,  his skillful knowledge of healing tendons put me on a plan of treatment to gradually strengthen while protecting the repair.  Many people have been telling me how "great" my walking looks, so it was the reality check I needed for Robby to point out that my gait is still a "little wonky looking".  Oh yes, we have some fine work to do!
     There have been times I wished, mostly out of my own impatience, that I was on a more aggressive protocol.  But after my small hike this weekend, improved functional range of motion, and my PT session today, I am certain that I have been doing the right thing for my body.  As a recreational athlete, there is no race for me to win.  Only the intrinsic joy of moving my body through the activities I love.  A slower pace may actually be the key to winning my race.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Lynn. thanks for sharing and for the encouragement of times soon to come. From Judy Crawford

    ReplyDelete